Sunday, November 2, 2008

TICI

Name of the software: Newspaper Software

Cooperating Classroom Grade Level: 5

Curriculum Area: This software could be used for a social studies arts project, which is to make a class newspaper or letter.

Objectives: I would use this software in the curriculum because it has many purposes that can be used for any subject. The children can create news letters for any subject and write articles using information that they learned in class and that they researched. This program also gives the children a good lesson in how to create a newspaper and they learn things such as editing and where to put the most important article where and so on. This can also be used to create a class newsletter that can be sent home to the parents telling them of the important events in the school and what the children are learning in the class.

Summary:

Project One: History newspaper

The first thing I would do would be to show the children how to work the program and get up a news letter/news paper template. The assignment would be for the children to pick a time in history (for example the American revolution period) then they would research the period and create a small one to three page newspaper with articles for that specific time. For example, the newspaper for the American Revolution period can have articles that speak about the war, specific battles; people win the war and what the normal populations of people were doing to help. I will show the children where to place the main and most important article as well as where to put the rest of the articles. The children will learn how to proof read their articles and check for editing before they print. They will learn how to decorate the newspaper sides and add information such as phone numbers, addresses and slogans. I will also teach them how to use clip art and pictures to decorate their newspapers.

Project Two: Class Newspaper

Just like project number one, I will teach the children how to use the software. The assignment for this project will be to create a class newsletter for the parents of the student in the class. We will all come up with a name for the paper together. It will be something like “Class 503’s Weekly News” or something like that. Then as a class I will partner up the children into groups of three and each group will write an article on what we are learning in the class in the different subjects and what important events are happening in the school. Each group will be able to type their articles in the newsletter as well as write their names in for the article they wrote. Each group will check and edit their work before the newsletter prints. Then I will take the original copy and make copies for all their parents. I will keep the original copy in a folder for this specific class so I can use their newsletter as an example to other classes I have.

Differentiated Learning: Because this software can be difficult to use I will have someone, either a student or myself, help the children who need it or who need extra help. I will keep explaining the steps until the students understand. The children who need help will get it because they will be in a group with capable peers. I will also be available to help any child who needs it.