Tuesday, October 7, 2008

TICI 2 10/7

TICI

Name of the software: Kidpix

Cooperating Classroom Grade Level: 1-6

Curriculum Area: This software could be used for mostly all subjects. It can be used for English, writing, reading, social studies, and art

Objectives: I would use this software in the curriculum because they have many different tools that can be used. The children can create many different pictures. The software has backgrounds, animations, and all the regular art tools such as stamps, paint brushes, pencils, a text box for typing and so on. This software can be effective even for a first grade class. The children can be asked to draw anything on this program. They can draw themselves, their family, their house, their room, their pets, their school or anything they want to. Then they save it in a folder with their name on it. They can make s slideshow of their pictures as well. The children can be asked to make a slideshow of the book they were reading by drawing the major events and the main characters. This software can be used for art by letting the children just have fun and letting them create anything they want. It can be used for drawing a social studies project, using the text as well and making a slideshow of events of a particular time. There are endless possibilities.

Summary: the first thing I would do is introduce the software to the children and show them how to use it on a projector. I would explain all the tools because this software has a lot and I would show them how to make a slideshow. Then I would give them an assignment to do. For example I would tell them to draw the book they are reading. They would draw the main characters on one page, at least 3 events on 3 different pages and the conclusion. The children would also have to use the text tools to write down what is happening in a sentence or two. After explaining the assignment if the children are not already at the computers I would tell them to go to one and start using the software. After they finish this, I would again show them how to make a slideshow in case they forgot. Finally I would tell them to save their work and perhaps print it out for them. I’m not sure if printing out a slideshow would be a good idea. If the printer doesn’t print in color then I wouldn’t do it.

Differentiated Learning: This software can accommodate all students because it is very easy to use. Even if all the tools can be taught the children still know the basics such as the pencil, paint brush, color and eraser. They do not have to use the advanced tools to complete a project. If a child is challenged in anyway then they could work with a partner or with me. All children should be able to use this software because it is a simple one to use that is a lot of fun

1 comment:

Michelle Fraboni said...

Good ideas on this one as well, but you need to be specific about the age, curriculum area, and objective you want your students to accomplish using KidPix as a tool.